- Every summer the much maligned rite of “preseason football” gives 45 young men a shot at a lifetime dream.
- And then that dream is over. And for most of the kids its over forever.
Heck Willie Parker and James Harrison set records in Super Bowls XL and Super Bowl XLIII respectively. Players like Dan Kreider, Ramon Foster, and Nate Washington show that the Steelers have found contributors at nearly every position area via the undrafted rookie free agent pool.
But for every Steve McLendon and every Kaydrick Vincent there are 44 or 45 Kyle Clements. (Clement was a member of the Steelers 2008 undrafted rookie free agent class, and his shot at NFL glory ended in injury after a few series in the Steelers first preseason game in '08.)
While the Steelers Saturday night match up at Heinz Field vs. the Giants is key for many of these nameless NFL wanna bes, its also critical for other, higher profile aspirants.
- Earlier, Steel Curtain rising profiled 5 Steelers fighting for their NFL lives this summer in Latrobe.
- Alameda Ta'amu's story is well known to Steelers Nation -- for all the wrong reasons.
Its gone downhill since then for Ta'amu. First he struggled in 2012's training camp, gaining far more noteriety for his walk to Walmart than anything he did on the field.
Then came Ta'amu's drunken rampage on the South Side.
Since then Ta'amu has done all the right things (save for a boneheaded rewetweet).
- But now he’s facing a rather unenviable situation.
Yet, the Steelers preseason game vs. the Giants could change all of that.
- And the irony is that Ta’amu might not even get to play
- If he does, he needless to say he’s got to put in a strong performance.
Regardless of griping from some fans, the position battles that will occur in the final three quarters of the preseason game vs. the Giants are very important to the futures of these young men and the Steelers line itself.
Thanks for visiting. Click here to check out the rest of Steel Curtain Rising. Or... Follow @SteelCurtainRis