The 2009 draft is now complete. The Steelers, picking last in each round, save for the picks they got via trade, came away with nine new players.
The Steelers entered the draft needing to strengthen both their offensive and defensive lines, their wide receiving crops, and their secondary. They did that. On paper at least.
They also give themselves a shot at adding some depth at running back and tight end.
- 1st 32(32) Evander “Ziggy” Hood, DE, Missouri
- 3rd 15(79) Kraig Urbik, OG, Wisconsin
- 3rd 20(84) Mike Wallace, WR, Mississippi
- 3rd 32(96) Keenan Lewis, CB, Oregon State
- 5th 32(168) Joe Burnett, CB, University of Central Florida
- 5th 33(169) Frank Summers, RB, UNLV
- 6th 32(205) Ra'Shon Harris, DT, Oregon
- 7th 17(226) A.Q. Shipley, Center, Penn State
- 7th 32(241) David Johnson, TE, Arkansas State
That’s two defensive lineman, two offensive linemen, one wide out, two corners, one running back, and one tight end.
YOU Rate the Steelers Draft
As mentioned in a previous post, yours truly lives outside the US, and has zero access to college games. So I will not do you the disservice of attempting to grade the Steelers draft or evaluate their picks on an individual basis.
That’s where you come in.
How do you evaluate the Steelers draft?
Who do you think’s got the most star power? Which player did they not pick that they should have? Who did they pick that they shouldn’t have? Are there any late round sleepers?
Leave a comment and make your voice heard.