´ Steel Curtain Rising: Willie Reid, Ryan McBean Top Steelers Cuts; Charlie Batch goes to IR

Which were the most important reasons the Steelers lost to the Ravens (pick all that apply)

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Willie Reid, Ryan McBean Top Steelers Cuts; Charlie Batch goes to IR

The Steelers paired their roster down to the NFL’s 53 man limit on Saturday, and the list included a few surprises.

2006 third round pick wide receiver Willie Reid topped the list, followed by 2007 fourth round pick Ryan McBean. They also cut return specialist Eddie Drummond and punter Paul Ernster.

In addition they placed quarterback Charlie Batch on injured reserve ending, which will make him ineligible to return his year. As he is in the final year of his contract, he may have played his last game as a Steeler.

The Steelers also reached injury settlements with 2008 sixth round picks linebacker Mike Humpal and safety Ryan Mundy.

The other players waived by the Steelers

Patrick Bailey, linebacker
Billy Latsko, fullback
Doug Legursky, guard
Matt Lentz, guard
Roy Lewis, defensive back
Grant Mason, safety
Jeremy Parquet, offensive tackle
Scott Paxton, defensive tackle
Jordan Reffett, defensive end
Micah Rucker, defensive end
Dezmond Sherrod, tight end
Lee Vickers, tight end
Justin Vincent, running back
Travis Williams, corner back

Assuming that the Steelers do not pick up one off of the wavier wires, the Steelers will start the season with only have two tight ends on their 53-man roster, although Mike Tomlin situationally used offensive tackle Max Starks as a third tight end in 2007.

Willie Reid had been locked in an intense battle with 2007 7th round pick Dallas Baker for the 5th wide receiver spot. Reid had performed well during preseason, leading the team in catches, and many insiders felt he had the upper hand. But during the off season Mike Tomlin had praised Dallas’ Baker’s development, but qualifying his remarks with the caveat that Baker needed to perform well with pads on. Apparently, Baker looked good enough in pads.

Roy Lewis’ departure marks somewhat of a surprise, as he had both played well and shown an ability to play both corner and safety. Expect him to be resigned to the practice squad… assuming he clears waivers.

Today’s roster moves also confirm a rather disturbing trend of poor second-day drafting on the part of the Steelers. Stay tuned for further coverage of this issue.

2 comments:

Barry Foster Fan Club said...

I will put it this way...The Steelers will go as far as the offensive line goes. Yes Ben can scramble and make plays BUT BUT when you don't even have time to drop back without worrying about having your knees or head taken out...Not good. At least Mahan isn't starting at center and if Mendenhall can hold onto the ball we have a fantastic duo and Moore seems like a very capable pass receiver and third down back! Plus when you go down to the Steelers game with your tickets one thing I wouldn't worry about is that D-line even thought it is old(er) I believe they will be able to hold up so that doesn't seem like an over-whelming problem THIS YEAR. I think it's time to get those Terrible Towels out. I think 9 wins may take the North as well so with Baltimore out the question and Cincy kinda shaky on the D and WR depth the division comes down to the Dirty Brown and the Mighty Steel!

In the Name of Bubby Brister...HERE WE GO STEELERS!
http://www.eSellOut.com

KT said...

Thanks for commenting "Barry Foster Fan Club." Steel Curtain Rising is in complete agreement with your analysis. Winning and losing on offense begins on the line.

We've written on that many times, and you can start reading on that thread here:
http://steelcurtainrising.blogspot.com/2008/05/time-to-debunk-myths-about-steelers.html